Looking up at your ceiling and seeing white is no longer an option. Read on and do something fun with your ceiling:
1. If your trim is crisp white then your ceiling shouldn’t be. Make a design statement by picking ceiling paint color that is couple shades lighter than your wall color. If your walls are very dark, then ask your painter to mix 90% of white paint with 10% of your wall paint. It will create enough of a contrast to make your millwork pop.
2. If you are looking for the unexpected, then covering your ceiling with a fun wallpaper may be an answer! Especially in a smaller space like a powder room a great paper would be a beautiful surprise.
3. Think metallic! Most paint companies offer metallic paints so the only issue would be “which one to pick?”. A coat of metallic paint (think silver, gold or champagne) or a high-gloss finish applied to your ceiling will add instant interest to your space.
4. Beware of texture up there! Do not use faux finishes, especially those involving a lot of texture and a flat finish, on your ceiling – it will make it look dark, unfinished and dirty. Instead, go for a Italian plaster finish – it’s sheen and smooth texture will work as well as metalic paint ot wallpaper – very elegant.
5. Do paint a fresco. If you are looking for a truly artistic finish for yoru ceiling, then hiring a fresco artist may be a good idea. Just be careful when choosing the theme and the artist – there are a lot of super tacky murals out there…
Image from www.traditionalhome.com
Olga Adler is an interior designer based in Delray Beach, Florida providing design and decorating services to some of the finest homes in Palm Beach County.